Friday, September 19, 2008

The Toilet Swirls the Other Direction

So, let's see what else is a little backwards from what we are used to in the US.
  1. Aussies drive on the left side of the road in right-hand drive cars.  It's like learning to drive all over again!  Plus, I have a manual shift.  The stick, clutch, and gas/break pedals are exactly where they are for us, but you are on the opposite side of the car.  So, 1st gear is away from you.  It's a wonder I have gears left.  Luckily, I rented an automatic for the 1st couple weeks.
  2. The seasons are opposite to ours.  I am entering Spring now, and the pollen is beginning to fall on the cars.  Let's hope I'm not allergic to the foliage here.  So far so good...
  3. Aussies have no clue what Pay-At-The-Pump means.  I'm so spoiled by just swiping my card that I stared at the pump for a couple minutes the first time I had to pump my "petrol" here.  I couldn't remember what to do!  Then I had this duh moment... try walking inside to pay the guy.
  4. More often than not, I find that sinks have separate hot and cold water faucets!  Washing dishes can be a touchy business with scalding water ready to burn my delicate fingers.  Plus, there aren't many dishwashers either.  Thus the reason I'm burning my hands to clean dishes.  I should really invest in paper plates!
  5. I've noticed that the doors to enter stores and restaurants say PUSH to enter and PULL to exit, which continues to throw me off.  I occasionally smash into the door on the way out of the office.  The receptionist gets a giggle out of it.
  6. This one is just a term, but I always laugh when someone says this.  Instead of asking for a hug, the women tend to say "I need a cuddle."  I'm thinking, "What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?"  I don't cuddle with just anyone, now.  Then you realize, it's just a hug.
  7. Americans are called Yanks, and they call the US dollar a Greenback.  Of course, I know that term, but I don't normally hear Americans call it that anymore.
  8. And yes, the toilets flush the other direction.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the fun post...I'm currently in Web-site-redesign-hell. As in, we got the prelim programmed site today, and they don't even have the structural categories of the navigation correct. Among many, many other errors. I'd much rather read about you bumping into the door on the way home. (I got a giggle out of that too. A bit of schadenfreude on this yucky day of mine.) Ready to head back stateside?