Friday, September 12, 2008

Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos

I must admit that Sydney is home to many beautiful birds from the Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos to King Parrots, Magpies, Rainbow Lorikeets, and Kookaburras.  All the birds are very beautiful until they open their beaks.  These are some of the loudest birds I've ever heard.  I could sometimes get cranky when the birds at home woke me up on a lazy Saturday morning, but I had no idea what I was about to face coming here.  There is NO MORE sleeping in on the weekends because these lovely birds will wake you up with their cackling and heckling at ungodly hours.

Take a listen to some of the sounds under the Top 40 Birdsongs.  The kookaburra is the best one.  It sounds like the jungle birds you hear in the movies.  (Link to Aussie Bird site)

Here are some pics of the Cockatoos.  I took these at a friend's house.  She was feeding them bread.  (Link to PicasaWeb)

No comments: