Friday, September 5, 2008

Manly to Spit Bridge Walk

I have to admit that it's so easy to do outdoors-y things in and around the city.  Travis and I spent an afternoon enjoying the views along the walk from Manly to the Spit Bridge.  It was a great day to wander because I wasn't able to find a good map.  So, we only had a general idea of where to go, but with the public trasport as well established as it is, you can find your way home easily enough.  (Link to VisitNSW website)

We took a train to Circular Quay.  Then, you can enjoy a leisurely ferry ride to Manly.  When you arrive, just turn left and follow the path along the water.  Apparently, this walk allows some of the best views of the harbour area.  I think these pics turned out ok.  After a couple hours, you come out at this big bridge, and we figured this must be it.  I have yet to uncover why it's called the Spit Bridge though.  Needless to say, there was a bus stop on the bridge that takes you right back into the city.  

My one recommendation for anyone who visits and wants to do the walk, PACK A LUNCH!  We had the lazy thought that there would certainly be food places to stop for a bite.  Au contraire, mon frere!  There is the path, parks and neighborhoods the entire way.  Luckily, we unearthed a great fish shop at the end of the walk.  It was sort of hole in the wall from the outside, but it had a great view and even better food.  All in all, a great way to spend an afternoon.

(Link to PicasaWeb)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't help but think of Porpoise Spit in that movie Muriel's Wedding, when I read this! I assume it's a fictional place...

Boginga said...

I forgot all about Porpoise Spit! I did google it, and I can't find any such place in NSW, which is where the movie states it should be. When you get a chance, try looking at some of the cities and say the names 3 times fast. You will end up giggling a bit, I'm sure... Woy Woy, Wagga Wagga, the list goes on. Oh, Billabong is from here. I think it's the aboriginal word for watering hole.