In the first week Travis and I went to the wine country in Hunter Valley, which is about 2 hours north of Sydney. If you ever get the chance to go, I would definitely suggest taking one of the wine tour buses. They drive you around all day to various wineries. No worries about "drink driving" as they call it here.
The next trip was a "bush walk" or hike in the Blue Mountains. I believe the name came from the fact that the Eucalyptus oil in the air reflects a blue glow. This range actually reminds me very much of the Shenandoah Mountains in Virginia, but the foliage is definitely more tropical. Plus, the walk we took was incredibly more steep! We probably walked down 3 km of stairs, which equates to approximately 1.8 miles. My knees hurt enough after the walk down, but some people actually choose to walk up it. Crazy!! The path eventually evens out, and there is a nice tram after Katoomba Falls to take you back to the top. Whew! (Link to Blue Mountains)
After that, we took a brief trip to Newcastle, which is a 3hr train ride from Sydney and not very far from Hunter Valley. It's a much smaller beach area and more family-oriented.
In April, Travis's brothers, Tom and Justin, visited Sydney with a few of their friends, and one stop on the tour was the Red Bull Flugtag event held at the Royal Botanic Gardens, not far from the Opera House. I am not sure if any of you have ever seen this type of event, but people try to make some sort of aircraft that is launched off a big ramp into water. The objective is to have it fly the farthest, I think. I actually had no idea that the event is actually judged and in the end there is a winner! It was pretty silly, but I enjoyed it.
The last one out there is a few pictures of the Grand Pacific Drive. Much like the Pacific Coast Highway in California, New South Wales built a nice, windy road along the Pacific Ocean to meander through the countryside between Sydney and Wollongong. I dare say that the PCH is a bit grander though, but I only saw a portion of it. (Link to Grand Pacific Drive)
That's it for now...
No comments:
Post a Comment