Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Aussie Dictionary

Who knew English could be so different??? There have certainly been times when I feel like I'm in a country with a completely foreign language.

Australia has certainly maintained much of their British English words, but they definitely have a few slang words of their own. I have only just begun to keep track...

Oh, I forgot that there is no word that can't be shortened. Most people didn't bother to call me Rebecca at work, they went straight to Bec without even knowing that it is my actual nickname. Nothing like making a girl feel at home right?

Biscuit or Bicky – Cookie
Breaky – Breakfast
Capsicum – Green/Red peppers
Chips – Chips can mean french fries or potato chips
Crisps – Potato chips can be crisps or chips
Daggy – Loser; disheveled person
Dodgy – Suspicious
Dummy – Pacifier
Dunny – Toilet or loo; this word was the old name for an outhouse
Fairy Floss – Cotton candy
Good on you – Good for you; Way to go!**
How ya going? – How are you?
Lolly/Lollies - Candy (although a lollipop is still the same)
Mackers – McDonald's
Motorway – Highway, freeway, interstate
Plodding along – Getting by
Queue - Line
Take the piss out of you – Making fun of; joking around with
Serviette – Napkin
Smash – Accident, ex. There is a large smash on the motorway.
Ta – Thank you

**"Good on you" is my personal favorite so far.

No comments: