Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

Wow, I can't believe that it has been 21 months of campaigning to lead us here!  I must admit that it's been interesting hearing the view point of the Aussies regarding US politics, and surprisingly I would say the opinions were rather mixed as to who would be best to run our country and will support Australia better.

And considering I am American working in an Oz company, the people I work with have been very forthcoming with questions about our electoral system.  Voters here are required to vote.  Otherwise, they get fined.  They don't have the choice of voting, and they vote in the party not the person.  Although the parliment has a Senate and a House, there are still big differences between us.

The world is certainly watching the US today!  I hope you all went out today and performed your civic duty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Most certainly did. What an amazing day--I'm still in shock. I honestly thought we were going to have a huge legal mess here for weeks and no clear determination. I thought it was going to be closer. I don't think it's really sunk in yet for a lot of folks, although I wasn't in the streets last night. I was home, deeply moved and elated, and yes occasionally weeping tears of joy...hope is a pretty powerful thing. I'd lost faith in the system, and I dare say it's been restored... I truly hope we can begin to repair all the political damage that's been done and begin, all of us, to work together.